Pure Kona Coffee Barbecue Chicken Ingredients:
- Pure Kona Coffee Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Your favorite barbecue sauce. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup molasses and 2 tbs fine ground pure kona coffee to each bottle of barbecue sauce.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 fine ground habanero hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted, plus additional for griddle
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Special equipment: 2 cups wood chips (such as hickory, apple, or cherry), soaked in 2 cups water for 1 hour, then drained; 13x9x1-inch disposable aluminum foil baking pan
Pure Kona Coffee Barbecue Chicken Preparation:
- For chicken:
- Prepare Kona barbecue (medium-high heat). Spread drained wood chips in disposable foil pan. Remove grill racks from Kona barbecue. Place foil pan with wood chips directly atop hot coals (for charcoal barbecue) or over flames (for gas barbecue). Return grill rack to barbecue. Brush chicken with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When wood chips begin to smoke, place chicken on grill rack above pan with wood chips. Cover grill and smoke chicken until cooked through, turning occasionally, about 18 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cool slightly. Shred chicken into bite-size strips; place in same bowl. Mix 2 1/2 cups pure kona coffee barbecue sauce into chicken. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm chicken in pure kona barbecue sauce over medium-low heat before using, adding more pure kona barbecue sauce to moisten mixture, if needed.
- For hoecakes:
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Add 1 cup water and melted butter and whisk until well blended. Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with additional melted butter. Working in batches, pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Using back of spoon, immediately spread batter for each cake into oval shape about 4×21/2 inches; cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn cakes over and cook until bottoms are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Place hoecakes on baking sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm while making remaining cakes. Place 2 hoecakes on each of 6 plates; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese over each cake. Top each with warm chicken in pure kona coffee barbecue sauce.
Originally posted 2017-04-02 18:14:12.